Construction and operation of the ore processing facility based on heap leaching method is associated with a certain environmental impact. The inevitable consequences include plant and soil destruction (areas occupied by the opencast, overburden rock wastes, heap leaching areas).This fact determines the company’s social responsibility.
Ecological policy of the company is based on the Constitution of the Russian Federation, federal laws and other normative acts on environmental and natural resources management.
In the local conditions, in order to preserve environment forming and environment protection functions of the ecological systems the environmental management approaches have to be reassessed and adopted to the mountain conditions.
The company applies the following major principles:
- Prevent adverse effects on the environment, and not deal with the consequences of these impacts.
- Ensure continuous improvement in both environmental protection and management.
The means of achieving company objectives in environmental protection are the following:
- implementing and maintaining an effective environmental management system based on the requirements of the international ISO 14001 standard;
- taking into consideration environmental and economic aspects along with traditional financial and economic parameters in project design and its implementation;
- land reclamation and other technical and organizational measures to compensate for damage caused to the natural environment;
- environmental opening of the company due to the adoption of a wide range of voluntary environmental commitments (in relation to investors, shareholders, the public and local authorities).
- application of the best available technology in all areas of production.
One measure of the effectiveness in the company’s environmental policy is the environmental monitoring of industrial facilities. The monitoring is done to assess compliance with current environmental regulations on maximum permissible content of hazardous substances in the surface water, groundwater, air and the impact of industrial technology on soil composition (content of non-ferrous metals in mobile forms). To obtain comparable data for environmental monitoring during the above analysis certified and approved methodologies are used for the purposes of the state environmental control.